Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The Etymologicon


The Etymologicon
Mark Forsyth, Icon Books 2011

What is the actual connection between disgruntled and gruntled? What links church organs to organised crime, California to the Caliphate, or brackets to codpieces?

The Etymologicon springs from Mark Forsyth’s Inky Fool blog on the strange connections between words.

It’s an occasionally ribald, frequently witty and unerringly erudite guided tour of the secret labyrinth that lurks beneath the English language, taking in monks and monkeys, film buffs and buffaloes, and explaining precisely what the Rolling Stones have to do with gardening.

(Production spec: Gold foil blocking on Wibalin Buckram cloth)

2 comments:

M.H. Forsyth said...

It's so beautiful that I jumped out of my seat when I saw it and danced around the room. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Mark Forsyth

Dan Mogford said...

Now that's the kind of reaction I like to my work! Really pleased you like it.
Dan